After losing my hole puncher for the third time I went and bought me a little kit that actually is a sewing/craft box for $ 2.98 to put my scissors, yarn, plant tags, hole puncher (when I relocate it) and perhaps frozen pollen. I found some little stackable containers with screw on lids that seemed perfect for storing the pollen in the sewing section at Wal Mart for 99 cents for a pack of 6. I prefer a soft flexible yarn to tie the pods because it separates into small strands and is easy for me to work with.
This morning I was able to take a couple of frozen daylily pollen anthers out and let it defrost in a cool dry area before taking it outside. I like to plan the crosses after looking over what is blooming next to what pollen I have available. Then I make my tags and attach the yarn. If I have a lot of blooms and I want to use one kind of pollen to increase my chances of getting pods I will assign a yarn color to one pollen parent and simply spread the pollen and tie the blooms with no tag. I will place the labels for pollen and pod parents when I gather the pods. Today I used Tuscawilla Snowdrift pollen on many of my Red Ribs seedlings just to see what would happen.
I have some pods forming from Red Little Business,Tuscawilla Snowdrift,Red Ribs and Red ribs seedlings. I also crossed Raspberry Truffle Canna Lily with what I purchased as Red King Humbert. Here are pictures of some of the Canna Lily parents.
|This is a green with red tips seedling from Raspberry Truffle.|
|Canna Lily Mai Ping Green Seedling|
|Container garden with canna lilies and caladiums|
This red canna lily that is supposed to be Red King Humbert is apparently Red Futurity. It is lovely with a bright red color so definitely still a keeper.